Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
1. Identify a nursing-related or clinical/administrative/educational procedure/process or protocol of interest that needs redesign or optimization because of bottlenecks and/or inefficiencies in the current process.
2. Generate a swimlane diagram (label as Figure 1) to visually show the current process and roles and responsibilities of individuals or departments in separate lanes involved in the process. For the swimlane diagram use standard flowchart symbols (e.g., diamond, oval, rectangle, directional arrows, etc.) to show the steps in the process. Go further and show separate lanes as an overlay showing roles, responsibilities, or functions for individuals/departments in those steps. Show the “as-is” state with the identified bottleneck or inefficiency in the process. Clearly show decision points in the process as well as the start and end of the process. Find an example of a swimlane diagram in the textbook and in the course module.
3. As Figure 2, create a second swimlane diagram of the “future” redesigned state of this process that shows an improved process. Use the same free swimlane software to create this diagram. Show or include the steps in the “future” process and roles and responsibilities (via separate lanes for individuals or departments in the process).
4. Write an analysis/summary report for use by the NIS and the interprofessional team that includes:
a. Identification of the process/problem to be solved in the current or “as-is” state. Include an explanation of why
things are done in this way and what data are currently collected in this process. Insert Figure 1.
b. Discussion of the bottlenecks and inefficiencies in the current process including how this current process affects
patient safety and quality of care. Cite sources.
c. Explanation and justification of the process re-design. Analyze how the redesign promotes efficiency, effectiveness,
and quality of care. Insert Figure 2. Cite sources.
d. Justification for why the work redesign is important and is also critical to the organization’s business success.
Support justification with one or more references.
Explanation of who will be affected by the redesign and one or more specific quality metrics the DNP will suggest for evaluating this redesign.
f. Identification of one or more specific strategies you expect the DNP needs to implement to promote system-wide acceptance and adoption of this redesign. Cite sources.
5. Complete one formal, narrative written analysis/summary report that includes a title page, two swimlane diagrams, and a reference page(s). You may insert the diagrams within the text or as appendices. See the APA 7th edition manual for format.
6. The narrative written analysis/summary should be 6–7-page excluding the title and reference page.
7. Include an introductory paragraph with a purpose statement and a conclusion.
8. Include Level 1 and 2 headings to organize the paper.
9. Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ‘we’ or ‘I’) and in a scholarly manner. To clarify: I, we, you, me, our may not be used. In addition, describing yourself as the researcher or the author should not be used.
10. Include a minimum of five professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal references to support the paper (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
11. APA 7th edition format required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, paraphrasing/quotes, and in-