Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
This assignment provides you with a topic involving oral interviews for a primary source analysis. You are to compose a 4-5 page paper, Times New Roman, 1-page margins, 12-point font, Chicago style format, and addressing the questions below. Remember your work needs to be in the form of an essay with an introduction, body with supporting evidence, and conclusion. Your paper must include appropriate footnotes or in-text citations as well as a Works Cited page. When citing, refer to specific videos and approximate timed section on the video to which you are referring. Outside research is NOT necessary as the main goal is to use these documents.
Listen to the interviews of the Ruby Nell Sales (4/25/2011; 1 hour 32 minutes) and Elmer Dixon (2/28/2013; 1 hour 48 minutes) from this website and answer these questions.
Source: Library of Congress, Civil Rights Project. URL below accessed 17 November 2018.
1. Describe the individual’s specific background. Why did he or she become involved in the struggle for civil rights?
2. What specifically were their experiences in the movement?
3. Would each of them have been more likely to agree with the approach of non-violence or that of the more militant Black Power movement? Cite specific evidence. How do they feel the approach they chose worked out?
4. Do the individuals feel their contribution was successful? Why or why not? Cite specific evidence.
5. What can be learned about a movement such as the civil rights movement from conducting oral history? What place do oral histories have in studying American history as a whole?
Again, submission should reflect a deep understanding of the material with thoughtful, purposeful writing with properly cited sources and few, if any, grammatical or spelling mistakes.